How many heating lamps for 50 Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bahachick, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Bahachick

Bahachick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Nassau
    They would be kept in my 6x6 wire mesh bottom coop on card board panels with wood shavings in the Bahamas with night temps about 55-70F.
    I am looking to get one or two brooder lamps like on (change xx to tt in the following link) hxxp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HM7PEK/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1QTD1JR6DNCXK with one or 150W heat lamps like on hxxp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255OUE/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Is one such lamp enough or should I get two? If two how should I space them and how high above the floor should it (they) be?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Two would be enough!!

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:I agree

4. Bahachick

Dec 21, 2010
    Nassau
    Yes I know 2 are enough but are two needed? Also how high should I mount them?

5. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    With that many I would use 2 heating lamps making sure they can get away from the heat if they get too warm. Otherwise you chance them getting cold and piling to keep warm then you lose some chicks. As for how high, I had mine a bit too low recently and felt under the heating lamp on the brooder floor and it was hot so I moved it up high enough so all I felt was warm air ... maybe about 18" to 24" inches high. I definitely don't want to burn my chicken house down. This is just what I am doing.

After reading threads of peoples chicken houses getting burned I decided to check mine out and am glad I did. Thank God for this site to help many of us with our chickens. There is always something new to learn no matter how many years you have had chickens.

6. Bahachick

Dec 21, 2010
    Nassau
    Just a follow up, the chicks have arrived today. They are all OK, all 50 of them. They are all eating.For now I will keep them in this cardboard box in my office with two lights. They seem to be comfortable.
    Below are two pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And click this one for a video:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by