How Many Hens Can Live in the Coop??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Randy17, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Randy17

Randy17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2007
    Oil City, Pa
    Hello all! It has been awhile since I have been here. I am thing of adding some more hens to the flock and I was wondering how many hens would a 8x8 coop with a 6 foot high ceiling house comfortably?
    I currently have 8 Red Stars and was thinking of adding some Buff Orphingtons or some Leghorns.

Randy

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Free ranging : 100 in the winter, 50 in the summer

3. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    With plenty of perch space, you should be able to house 20 Birds comfortably.[​IMG]

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Each bird needs 3-4 Sq Ft.

5. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I have the same question but on a different size coop. How many can I comfortably house in a 4' by 4' by 6' tall at peak? There are three nexting boxes and the roosting pole is 4' across. I plan to have four hens but would like to add a fifth if there is enough comfortable space. They will not be free ranging all the time. Usually in a run 25' x 25'.

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:With a run, they should have approx 4 square ft per bird -- which would be only 4 in your coop, but a fifth would probably be okay. It's also recommended that they have about 12 inches of roost space per bird -- is it possible to add another roost?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

REally depends on the size of your breeds. I find larger standards, like the huge Blue Orpingtons, really need more than the rule-of thumb space of 4 sf of floor space per bird. In my original 8x8 coop, an even dozen was a great number, easy to clean and okay when they had to be confined to the inside. Mine did freerange, too.

8. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Quote:With a run, they should have approx 4 square ft per bird -- which would be only 4 in your coop, but a fifth would probably be okay. It's also recommended that they have about 12 inches of roost space per bird -- is it possible to add another roost?

no, the way it is set up there is the roost pole on one side and the nesting boxes on the other. I guess I will have to stick with my original four. [​IMG]

9. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Quote:I am getting a buff orrington, barred rock, EE & austrolorp. I was thinking of adding a RIR.

10. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Go ahead and add the RIR, it won't make that much of a difference really. I have 6 barred rock hens and two roosters that make room for each other on a 3 1/2-4 ft roost...It keeps them warmer at night around here:>) I'm planning on at least 20 birds for my 6x10 pen this summer...and probably keeping them all for the winter as well.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by