How many hens do you see out of these fifteen chicks?

Feb 14, 2021
Arkansas
I hatched these guys out for the Easter hatch-along (first hatched Good Friday and the last hatched about a week and a half later), and I want to verify how many roosters and hens are here. Here are photos of each one:

IMG_8506.JPG

#1: Gazette. She is a mix of my Golden Lace Wyandotte, and my white sex link rooster. The Silver Laced Wyandotte from the rooster really showed up here. I was hoping for a chick that would be black and white and red all over. (That's why I named her Gazette before she even hatched. Because what is black and white and read all over? A newspaper. 😆) But the little bit of red fluff she had disappeared when she feathered out. This one I really REALLY hope is a girl, I am so attached to her.

IMG_8509.JPG

#2: Kung Roo.

IMG_8511.JPG

#3: Hope

IMG_8517.JPG

#4: Faith

IMG_8515.JPG

#5: Pipsqueak (I didn't realize until I looked through the photos on the computer that she blinked. 😆) This is another that I am very attached to and hope is a girl.

IMG_8520.JPG

#6: GoldieFeathers the Second

IMG_8525.JPG

#7: Candy

IMG_8527.JPG

#8: Cadbury Creme

IMG_8529.JPG

#9: Caramel

IMG_8531.JPG

#11: Russel Stover

IMG_8533.JPG

#12: Reeses Pieces

IMG_8535.JPG

#13: Ester Sue

IMG_8538.JPG

#14: Butterscotch.

IMG_8513.JPG

#15: Mo. (He was the last hatched. I started calling him "Last of the Mohicans" and it stuck. 😆)

I'm seeing seven hens, nine roosters with 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 13 being the hens. Do you think this is correct?

All others are males.
After going back over my photos, I realize I mixed up two photos and I have another that looks exactly like Candy and Cadbury. Looks like I posted Russel Stover twice. I thought that was weird that I had an extra roo because I didn't think I used the name Reeses Pieces yet. (Shouldn't have posted in the middle of the night I guess. 🤣 ) So I guess I have 7 hens 8 roos. Not too bad! Thanks!

Also female. Pure RIR?
I hope so. Does she look like it to you? That was the goal, but another rooster may have interfered. Three look identical, and so far, everything looks right for those.

I started a thread about the father, right before I started this thread about the chicks. I have a photo of the parents there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ster-create-a-sex-link.1478102/#post-24627767 I started it because I got some chick coloring on a few that I didn't expect. (Red roosters with a rose comb and gold females instead of red.) Looks like some are pure RIR (like Cathy), and a few, another rooster (a sex link I raised last year) interfered and created some mixes I didn't expect. 😅

Back
Top Bottom