How many hens for each cock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PaintedMeadows, Sep 5, 2008.

1. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    We have about 12 pullets I think (12 weeks old) and 13 roos same age. We have decided on keeping 2 roos for sure but my daughter has become really attached to a 3rd roo. Would that be too many for the 12 hens? They would all be living together in a run and large coop and free ranged during the day. That would be a total of 15 chickens.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I was told 1 roo per 10 hens is a good ratio. I am interested to see what others say though. I have 19 hens and 2 roos! One is my silkie and he doesn't seem to mate, just makes alot of noise. He may still be a little young for that though.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have also always heard that 1 Roo for every 10 hens is a good ratio.

I think that 2 roosters for 12 hens is very likely too many. Maybe if the boys get along really well and don't fight over the hens it would work though. I wouldn't have 3 roos with only 12 hens.

Maybe others with more experience in this area will chime in and give you their personal experience with extra roos for a small number of girls.

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    2 is too many and 3 is really too many. They will tag team on the girls and it will be horrible for them. If you want to keep that many roosters, you should have a seperate space for them that is not around females. Maybe you can make another coop/run for a second roo and 2 of your hens? That's what I have done, and it really helps. Trust me, the hens will be in terror with that many roos.

5. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry, I can't answer your post, the title just struck me funny.

6. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Dang. I am really attached to my boy who is an EE and we want to keep an orpington roo for the orp girls. Hmmm. Maybe I can talk hubby into a seperate coop. We are free ranging them with my horses to keep the bugs down etc and I do have 2 seperate herds. lol. Good reason to have 2 groups. Well, we will definitely sell the 3 dark brahma roos that my daughter is attached too. Just can't bear to kill the 3 that she loves on. The rest of the roos will make yummy dinners! Mm, mm, good! lol. Werblessed, so you like my title eh? lol. I never thought of it when I typed it! tee hee.

Another question, if we added more pullets could it work then and have them all housed together? Or do they still have to be seperated?

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    If you had closer to 20 pullets, then you could most likely keep 2 roosters.

8. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    OK, thank you. I will just have to bat puppy eyes at hubby for a second coop. [​IMG]

9. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    I had 2 roosters and 14 hens. They would gang up on the hens it was aweful. We ate one rooster, and now the hens are MUCH happier.

10. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I have 3 roos and 16 hens...and I am not liking it. One is particularly irritating and mean to the hens. We named him Stewpot, Stewy for short. That boy has got to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by