How many hens have you seen in one nest box?

Big Red's Mom

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Terry, Mississippi
Yesterday while I was preparing to clean the coop I heard a little fuss at the nest boxes. I looked and had to look again.
ep.gif
I had three hens in one nest box and two standing on the ledge outside that box. Then one more on the ramp going to the nest boxes. I have 17 hens and 5 nice nest boxes. They all want to lay in the same one. The actual box they lay in changes from time to time but usually most of the eggs are in one box.

That scene looked like the line outside the ladies room at a flea market. Too funny. I just love chickens.
lau.gif

Yesterday we remodeled the coop and relocated their nest boxes. They were so upset all day they crammed three of their fuzzy butts all in one nest box! But yes on a typical day they will sometimes go into a nest box together but it's usually because one is trying to push the other out, because of course they all want to lay in the same box. silly chickens
smile.png

41441_3_fuzzy_butts.jpg

Thanks, it was lucky I had my phone down there while we were doing construction!

I think what also contributes to their desire to be in the same box is the eggs that are in there. I've picked up eggs before the other girls come in and they will usually go to a different box. I think it may equate to a safe and comfortable place in their little brains
smile.png

i have heard from other ppl. that raise chickens for their eggs, that if you take some eggs and boil them, then mark them so you know which ones are boiled, then put them in different nest boxes, then the hens know that it is ok to lay their eggs there also... not sure if this works or not, mine are only bout 7 weeks old, but i think worth trying....

I had some wood eggs I found at a flea market that I put in the boxes when the girls first started laying. They did lay in each box then. Those are long gone my son decided to play with them. Never to be seen again?

I use wooden eggs too. You can buy them from poultry supply companies, but they are much less expensive at the craft store! And you can buy how many you need, not a whole dozen.

Of course, my DD thinks they are fabulous play toys, too. Doesn't matter that she has a playroom full of toys including tons fake food. Nope. The wooden eggs form the chicken coop are CLEARLY better. They do work when they are in the nest boxes, though!

When we first put the chickens in the coop they were about 8 weeks and couldn't seem to find the roosts. I went to check on them and there were 9 (NINE) chickens in one box. I took a picture but you can't see anything because it is all black with chickens.

Golf balls work just as well.

I've seen five pullets in one nest box, but that's when they were all sleeping in it together. As they grew, they had to settle for FOUR in one and the fifth in the next nest box. They're almost to point of lay, now.

This afternoon I saw my roo and his favorite pullet "testing" out a covered cat litter box I set up with pine shavings in it. On my porch. (I just got tired of seeing the empty, unused litter box there.... so I cleaned it and put in the shavings.) I'm kind of hoping that if the flock wants to lay eggs in the yard because they're now ranging freely, that they use THAT spot instead of me having to look all over the place for 'em.

It's a BIG, covered litter box, nice and deep, too. I might see more than one pullet in it someday. The fact that the rooster and a pullet fit with room to spare was pretty impressive.

Back
Top Bottom