How many Hens in my coop? 5-6?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Natalierose, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Natalierose

Natalierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Hey guys,

I am getting my flock from a few different places (2 breeders and the co-op) and I'm trying to determine If I should do 5 or 6 Hens.

My coop is going to be 4x6 and my run is 4x8

If 5 chickens:

- 2 silkies
    -1 orpington
    -1 silver laced wyandotte
    -1 cochin

If 6 chickens:

- 2 silkies
    -1 orpington
    -1 silver laced wyandotte
    -1 cochin
    -1 bantam cochin

Any input/help on the selection and how many would be good would be great. Or if any one has input as to the combination that would be great too :)

Thank you

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    You have enough room for six birds. The more important question is how old are these birds? You have larger breed chickens and bantams mixed together. They are far less likely to have issues if they are raised together as chicks than if your try to combine them as older birds.

3. Natalierose

Natalierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    They are all either currently day old or hatching this weekend

The co-op is where I'm getting the co-chin and silver laced- those both came in today

and the orphington should be hatched sunday

Silkies should hatch today or tomorrow

4. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    That sounds great then. If you do someday have a problem you can always relocate the trouble maker. Though most likely you won't. They are docile breeds that you have picked. Enjoy your new chicks. [​IMG] Now you have the painfully long wait for your first eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by