How many hens is about the maximum for a 4' x 8' coop?

Smiling Angel

Chickens R Us
7 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Central New Jersey
NO, this isn't a riddle or a joke
smile.png
big_smile.png
smile.png

We have a tall coop that is about the size of a large outhouse in height. It is 4' by 8'. We had gotten 5 chicks last spring, but had to part with a roo due to crowing issues. So we hae 5 hens. I would love to add some more hens, but wondering how many would be a maxium amount? We have the upper portion of the coop enclosed with a roost area and nesting boxes, so that have a good amount of room altogether. Would love to add to the group. Also, is there a place where I can buy a small amount of chicks this type of year - like less than six? Just wondering....

The normal rule is 4 sq feet per chicken in the coop and 10 in the run. So if you have a 4x8 coop, you can have up to 8 chickens without issue. This is an estimate, and it could go higher or lower depending on your conditions, location, breed of chicken etc. Extra height does not really gain more capacity, its floor space that is counted.

You might find a private seller that would sell you a small order, or go in with someone to split them so you each get a few. Most states have minimum requirements by law for commercial sellers. I know in CT it is 6.

I just looked at Craigslist for Central NJ, it looks like there are several chick sellers listed. You might want to get some older chicks (say 2-3 months) rather than put very young ones in with your year old chickens.

I just looked at Craigslist for Central NJ, it looks like there are several chick sellers listed. You might want to get some older chicks (say 2-3 months) rather than put very young ones in with your year old chickens.

Thanks! I did a search and found a couple of ones close to home and are checking with them currently.

In a foot print of 4x8 coop, you can keep alot, if the chickens are NOT locked in. If so, they will likely to spend lots of time in the run or free range, and come to roost in the coop at night. This brings up the topic of roost. If you can squeeze in 12ft of roost with decent spacing (>14"), 12 to 15 birds can live happily there.

BUT, if you ever need to lock them in for more than briefly, They will not be happy.

I also live in NJ. Closed the pop door only overnights when there is strong wind chill in the teens. Also closed them in during Sandy.

NO, this isn't a riddle or a joke
smile.png
big_smile.png
smile.png

We have a tall coop that is about the size of a large outhouse in height. It is 4' by 8'. The rule of thumb is 8 We had gotten 5 chicks last spring, but had to part with a roo due to crowing issues. So we hae 5 hens. I would love to add some more hens, but wondering how many would be a maxium amount? We have the upper portion of the coop enclosed with a roost area and nesting boxes, so that have a good amount of room altogether. Would love to add to the group. Also, is there a place where I can buy a small amount of chicks this type of year - like less than six? Just wondering....
My coop is exactly that size (with three levels) and I have kept as many as 26 Golden Comets with no issues. I also have an 8x24 foot uncovered run.

Back
Top Bottom