how many hens per rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gonzo, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Hi! We've got several breeds of chickens. I've been slowing downsizing the roosters we have. I now have 5 roosters and about 18 hens... I want to add more hens to go with the breeds of roosters that we have. I want to have around 5-6 hens per rooster in their very own little area. will this work, or do I need more hens than that?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009
  2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    anyone?

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    C'mon, it's been less than an hour, and it's the day before Thanksgiving too... you gotta give people a chance to SEE your post... [​IMG]

It sounds like you pretty much know the answer. With a lot of roos (especially young 'enthusiastic' ones), just 5-6 hens is going to lead to some seriously bald backs and the possible need for either saddles or intermittant isolation of the roo to prevent more serious injuries. So sometimes you will be able to get away with it but often not so well; your choice what to do [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Some breeds are more randy than others as well. Delawares seem to need a 10 hens per rooster ratio.

Most work out a plan based on the room they have, with a bachelor pad available if the hens get too much attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by