how many hens to a rooster

Serama Lover1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Acworth Ga
Okay so I have nine hens and was wondering how many roos could I have with nine hens? I have found two very pretty roos and was wondering if I could have them both or if they would tear up my hens.

I read 1 Roo to 8 hens is what its supposed to be. deppends on the roos, some are aggresive while others are mild. But I think you'll be fine with the two roos.

Last edited:
They just might. However, I have more roosters than the recommended number for my hens (12 roosters, 31 hens, give or take a few youngsters of both sexes) and the couple of excessively mounted "floozy" hens are now growing back their back feathers because there is plenty of space for them all. Freely ranging chickens, roosters especially, get bored easily if they don't have a lot of space. And if the girls can't get away, they get the brunt of all that manly attention.

You can have a hundred hens with one roo, but fertility would not be assured for about 80 of 'em. If you want fertility, the ratio is best 1 rooster/10 hens.

With 12 roosters, I "should" have no more than 120 hens.
lau.gif

I've only got three hens per rooster.

Get both roosters and get rid of one if a problem develops, or add more hens.

It depends on the roo, and I have heard it helps a lot if they were raised together. I have 2 boys to 6 girls and we all do well. I ordered 8 females, but I lost two in the first few weeks, that's how I ended up with my ratio, I was expecting possible losses and wanted to be sure I had a roo. They don't seem to over do it on the girls, yet.

I have 1 male with 9 females in one of my flocks. In the other flocks I have 1 boy each to 12 girls each. My fertility is better with my 1 male to 9 females.

Back
Top Bottom