How many hens to one rooster

Alisaviola

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2019
We raise chickens for pets we had 3 buff orphintons for 5 years lost two and just had our one Sister Sue left all alone so we decided to give her more family so we built a new run and coop and bought 3 more that were suppose to be Black aussies...one turned into a french marans rooster.. I thought I would try to keep him, but I have been told he may give my girls too much lovin and stress them out...do you think this is true...I want a peaceful flock but I just dont have the heart to just GET RID of a pet once I get it. We have 5 parrots, two dogs and 22 ferral cats ( all spayed and neutered) and now we have 4 chickens (3 hens and 1 rooster) that will be able to free range when they get older. My question is are they going to be happy chickens or is Mr Roo going to cause issues?
20190802_192715.jpg
20190924_184215.jpg
20190930_090328.jpg

Last edited:
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Keep him and see how it goes.... but have a plan B set up and ready to go. A way to separate him, a way to catch him. I would expect you to have trouble with this rooster. Roosters take experience and space.

Personally, I don't think that roosters do well in a small coop like what you have pictured. I think they need more space and so do the hens with him. People tend to think that free-ranging can make up for too small of a coop, but it really can't in the winter time. In the winter time they are cooped up from dark to dawn, often times close to 14-16 hours at a time.

So keep him, and see how it goes, but have a plan B.

Mrs K

Art you have mentioned trio and quads before, and perhaps I am wrong, but I thought that when they set up a trio or a quad, it was for a pretty limited time period, just enough time to get the eggs they want for hatching, not a life long, 24/7 /365 time period, maybe I am wrong.
I think it's done both short term and long term.

Art you have mentioned trio and quads before, and perhaps I am wrong, but I thought that when they set up a trio or a quad, it was for a pretty limited time period, just enough time to get the eggs they want for hatching, not a life long, 24/7 /365 time period, maybe I am wrong.

I have 2 roosters and 8 pullets... The roosters were supposed to be pullets, but I'm okay with them since they're amazing. One rooster doesn't mate, he's the 2nd in command rooster and his brother keeps him in line. He is just there to keep watch with his brother and protect his brothers girls. I haven't noticed any over breeding with my flock or fighting between the roosters.

Rather curious how old are your birds? Fort Cluck. And how much space do you have? I have had two roosters work, father/son, but not two brothers. Good luck to you.
I have 3,000 SQ FT. They're still young, I guess I should've said Cockerels because they are 5 months. I'm adding more pullets soon, I just ordered an incubator to hatch eggs. I think if I removed one of the roosters, the other would grieve because they're so close. I'm making the free range run about 8,000 sq ft very soon.

Back
Top Bottom