How many horizontal nipples each and how big should bottles be for 25 standard chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rhoise, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi folks!
    I'm creating a brooder out of a refrigerator box(3.5W x 7L x 2.5H). Wondering how many nipples I should install in each bottle, and how many bottles I should provide for 25 chicks? These bottles I am using hold 1.5 quarts of water each above the level of the nipples.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd make up a couple with one nipple on each of three sides of the bottle, then you can set it against the side of brooder and use a small bungie cord to keep it from getting knocked over.

Love the fridge boxes, you might need couple for 25 chicks after a couple weeks.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks for answering my post, cool brooder! I have raised ducks and chicks over the years in cardboard boxes, and wet shavings have always been annoying. I don't have much experience with these nipples for chicks only tried the vertical ones last summer on my old hens. I like the bungee idea and was thinking two drinkers with three nipples each. I got the bottles from a recycle bin and was able to use them without any sealant or leaks so as they grow I can reuse the nipples on a bigger bucket.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh that box is lined with 6ml plastic and I use sand as bedding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by