How many in a flock?

Princess Guinea

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
I have a great Buff Orpington rooster and just purchased two hens. Now I'm wondering if two's enough? This is a pet flock. But I feel that one hen is always odd hen out. Any ideas?

You'll probably find two hens is not enough for the rooster. They'll get too much attention and start to get bare backs. Four hens might be enough, it really depends how "active" the rooster is. They are very active as cockerels and tend to mellow out when older. I can get away with 4 hens to my rooster now but in his first year 6 hens were not enough.

I wud say have 6 hens the extra eggs are nice nd try to incoprate a winter egg layer so you can have sum eggs in the winter time

I would definitely say that you may need a few more hens with your rooster! I have about 75 chickens total and only 3 of them are roosters and my hens at times still get too much ATTN from the roosters. I'm not saying that you have to have that many but a few more would definitely help the two that you have from being broke down from the rooster

Back
Top Bottom