How many in here would you say???

Bratty477

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 1, 2015
The manufacturer has the specs below. At the moment, I have 3 hens (1 buff orpington, 1 golden sexlink, 1 barred rock). They're about 6 months old and I was wondering if the run space on the first floor of the pic is big enough for them to stay in 24/7 if we go on vacation? I usually let them run around and play in a much bigger netted pen area in our backyard but only while I'm supervising because we have coyotes and hawks in our area. Being new to the backyard chicken thing, I just want to make sure they're going to be safe and happy.

If I buy a second comparable coop to move one of the three hens out to maximize space, will that single hen (and the other two) be ok? She has had the other two with her all her 6 months of life and wondering what separation will do to all three of them? Sorry if these questions seem silly but I've grown so attached to them already I'm worrying about everything!

• Dimensions: 63L x 41.5W x 48H inches
  • Capacity: 3-4 Chickens

969c69828520035154cd65b44655c4a2.jpg

If the question is are they going to be super happy missing their free range play time? No...they are going to complain and possible squawk more when they are used to being let out. Will they be fine? Yes. They will be fine. Just make sure you have someone stopping by to gather eggs and check their food and water.

Also don't split up your flock. That will cause more problems than it will solve. Chickens are social creatures and don't like living alone. Once you separate them they will "forget" their previous flock mate and have to establish a new pecking order when reintroduced. If you were to give them more space you would add on to their run.

I agree if you are going to extra expense I would either make a larger run or if you wanted a second set up like you have I would attach them together so they could go from one side to the other. it should be as easy as just taking off one panel on each run and attaching them together with screws or bolts.

Remember chickens are social
good luck with your flock

If the question is are they going to be super happy missing their free range play time?  No...they are going to complain and possible squawk more when they are used to being let out.  Will they be fine?  Yes. They will be fine.  Just make sure you have someone stopping by to gather eggs and check their food and water. 

Thank you! That makes me feel so much better. Yes, someone will come by everyday to collect eggs and make sure they have food and water and even occasionally let them come out to play ... just not every time.

Last edited:
I agree if you are going to extra expense I would either make a larger run or if you wanted a second set up like you have I would attach them together so they could go from one side to the other. it should be as easy as just taking off one panel on each run and attaching them together with screws or bolts.

Remember chickens are social
good luck with your flock

Thank you! I thought about adding on to the existing run but I was surprised to find how well they can fly...are they ok with just ground space, or is air space a consideration I should make when modifying the current space? :/

Last edited:
I'd build a coop 2-3 times that size and use this one for raising chicks or an isolation coop.
The prefab coop sellers are notoriously inaccurate as to population capacities.

Can they actually get up that ramp??.....it look awfully steep.

I would watch them as they roam in the yard Mine when they free range just use the ground with the exception of my bantum roo who likes to jump up high to crow.

Inside my coop they range my Brahma and my Silkie roo roost aprox 2 ft off the ground (Brahma is a heavy breed and she doesnt like the leap, Silkies dont have flight feathers per say so he only goes as high as he can jump)

I have others mid range and a few that like to roost at the very top of the coop about 8 ft high.

Some of my ladies do like to roost at night in the run and just use the coop for laying.

I would make the run area taller I would go at least as high as the coop if you are going to expand just so they can flap and jump if they want to. 3 or 4 ft high. How elaborate you want it to be since it is basically a safe zone when you go on vacation consider how many vacations you take and remember if they dont like it for the first vacation you can expand again if need arises before the next one.

IMO
your coop is fine since you free range for the most part have only 3 chickens who only use it at night and for laying eggs. Since you are aware that it is too small for 24/7 I would for vacation add at least 30sq ft of run space 4 ft tall.

so off the side that is 3 ft wide by 10ft long.

You can cover the run if you like all or in part and that would also give you space to hang a larger feeder and waterer in the run area.

I'd build a coop 2-3 times that size and use this one for raising chicks or an isolation coop.
The prefab coop sellers are notoriously inaccurate as to population capacities.

Can they actually get up that ramp??.....it look awfully steep.

That picture actually doesn't represent where the ramp actually goes ... it you look closely, it needs to be lowered to the opening that's closer to the front door. They don't have any trouble going up and down ... in fact, they like to often just jump down.

I would actually like to build a bigger coop ... using this one as an isolation coop is a great idea! I was also searching the internet for coop plans. Do you have any you would suggest that is rather simple to build and not too complicated while being functional?

Back
Top Bottom