How many in the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Remudamom, May 2, 2009.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop is about 8x10. How many banties can I keep in there at night if they are free range by day?

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Your coop is large enough for 20 standard hens. So you can have many banties. Only question: where do you live?? Will your banties spend a lot of time indoors in the winter??

3. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Allow 4 sq ft per bird minimum. Lots of folks will tell you to cram more birds than that in there, but if you want happy birds you'll need to keep it down to 4 sq ft per bird. There will always be bad weather days when they'll want to stay inside. (says she who had to give away some of her birds)

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Personally I think its up to the birds how many you can fit in there. I have a 6x8 shed turned chicken coup and certainly have more birds than the 4sq ft per bird rule would allow. My chickens are outsite most of the day except on the really rainy days where I keep them locked up and there is no picking or fighting with each other while they are in there. They are happy and also healthy. If they would be fighting with each other or not healthy I would get rid of some but they do just fine.

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    There were a couple of spelling errors on that last post. Coop* Outside*

6. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

As soon as I can put everyone together I'll have 11 banties and two guineas. They will be outside lots, even in the winter they'll have that option unless it's really storming.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Plenty of room for banties - good luck getting the guineas to call it home, though.

Just ensure you have good ventilation. Chicken manure is 70% water and it builds up fast. Even with bantams, youll have to stay on top of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by