How many inches above shavings to havej 250watt red bulb for 95 degree

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TcherDawn, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    Is there a rule as to how many inches the heat lamp should be above the chicks to keep them at 95 degrees? It is a 250 watt red bulb. I have had grown chickens, but this is the first time with new baby chicks!

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    No. You have to hang the lamp over the brooder and put a thermometer at chick level. Raise or lower the lamp until you get to the correct temperature.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm betting you don't need a 250 watt heat lamp at all. How warm are your days right now? Will the chicks be in the house or an outside-in-the-coop brooder? If in the house, you may get by with a 60 watt bulb, like a red reptile bulb. A couple feet above the shavings is probably as low as you'd need that, too, but you need to measure at chick level directly under the light.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Wow by the time my computer gets this posted you may have 100 answers.

To me it depends on what your using, the size and shape. I used to use a 50 gal aquarium, but too hot for that right now. I like using big boxes. I can toss them when I'm finished.

As long as the chickd are warm or cool enough the height just depends. I use a long box. I put the light in the middle of one section and leave a section where it's much cooler. Just watch where and how they lay down or where they hang out. If they are directly under the light it isn't warm enough. If they kind of sprawl out around the perimiter they re just fine. They should be just around the outside of where the light shines.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    See what I mean? And a double post at that.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  6. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    They will be indoor. The outdoor variation in temps has been HUGE lately (high 40s at night, 80's during the day!) Indoor temp is around the high 60s in the morning, high 70s in the evening. Much less variaton.
    It is a big rubbermaid bin. I did not know you could use a regular light bulb. I thought it had to be the red 250 bulb. That is what they sell at the farm store in their "brooder" supply kit.

7. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i never used a thermometer. i just went by where they were huddled. and they only had the heat lamp for 3 weeks. i just took it out today and they are only 1 month old. but they haven't had the heat lamp for 3 days now and they are doing great. i don't really think you need to do the 5 degree thing every week. i didn't and my chicks are doing great. but everyone has differ opinions.

8. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I am using a wire cat cage for my chicks when they arrive (in 2 weeks), and I've been tinkering with the red bulb in a brooder reflector, and it looks like it will be right at the top edge of the cage at about 22" (it has a wire top that opens and closes). That is about perfect because I want to keep the top closed when I'm not around to keep my cat away from them until they are a bit bigger. If it needed to be any closer, I would have to leave the top open. My chicks will be in an airconditioned house for their first 4-5 weeks. It is VERY hot here - in the 90's already and it's only June, so it is just as well that they won't be outside until it gets a bit cooler nearer September.

9. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Quote:I'd go with the red light. Alot of people here are from the south and they don't understand our northern temps. [​IMG] You'll need that at night where you are since we have a mid 40's forecast here for the next few nights. Good luck with your chicks! [​IMG]

10. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I have 3 chicks that are one week old and 1 other chick that hatched this past Saturday and they are in the same brooder. I don't have the light on them during the day only at night and they are usually away from the light. It is too hot here for a 250 watt bulb. I use those in the cold months but here in the summer it is totally unnecesary (with our daytime highs being around 109 those little babies would get heat sick). Our nights cool down to High 80's/Low 90's.

Right now I do have a 60 watt black light bulb in the heat lamp that I turn on at night just in case they decide to go under it.

Those guidelines you are given about the heating lamp is just that guidelines. The chicks will let you know if they are hot or cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by