How many is too many??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bigdogmom130, May 14, 2009.

1. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I had to post this....My husband told me yesterday that a co-worker went home to find..........you're gonna love this..........his wife had bought home 1500 chicks and 500 baby ducks!!!! OMG! I love my chicks, but man oh man that is ALOT! Oh, I didn't mention that they have 6 acres of land and a barn, etc.... Anyway - she is keeping all of them in her basement!! Her hubby said that it looked like she had a wavy yellow carpet down there , not to metion the peeping! LOL I couldn't believe it when my hubby said that! He told me that it's true. One time she bought home 50 goats! She never tells her hubby - she just comes home with the animals! lol
    Anyway, I had to tell you all that. It's funny - yet insane at the same time [​IMG]

2. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    dear god can you imagine the cost of that many !!!! even at a $1.00 each & the smell & the mess .. i would be divorced for sure!!!

3. Bard's Rock!

Bard's Rock! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Geehosafat! I hope she plans on being a stay at home chicken keeper. So did her husband back out the door and leave? [​IMG]

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I dont think I could handle that many chicks and ducks. Heck I am at 50+ chicks and 12 ducklings and I think thats a lot lol!

5. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Lol, Her husband told my hubby that she was crazy and thet she was going to move them to the barn shortly. She did pay $1.00 each for them, but still that's $2,000.00!!!! plus, feed and bedding. She bought them from a local place in Western MD. How in the heck do you get 2,000 birds home??? Oh, they are also Foster parents to 9 chicldren. Her heart is definitely in the right place, but I think she went chicken crazy!!

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    HUMMMMMMMMM, gone chicken crazy, I wouldn't know anything about that!!!! How many is too many??? I haven't figurered that one out either!!!! [​IMG]

I guess if you have the means to feed, care, house that many --go for it. It take a lot of time to care for that many. You have to be so careful with any diseases. If one of those were to even sneeze, I would have a nervous breakdown!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    lol how would you find out who sneezed [​IMG]

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm waiting for a BYCer to crack down like that LOL Just kidding [​IMG]

9. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    [​IMG] are you sure the number is right??? She IS chicken crazy. I hope she has ample spacing, shelter, food, etc or she is going to end up with that many dead chickens.

10. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    wow, hope those aren't all meaties.... they'll eat her out of house and home. I betcha she will go through a ton of feed every week.... WOW!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by