How many is too many???

jkl79

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Central TX
I've really let myself get obsessed with this whole chicken raising business. What started out as a 3 chicken project, is currently at 8. Tomorrow, I am picking up 2 EE chicks, and then in about a month, I'm expecting a few baby blue cochins.

I live in the suburbs and have a very large backyard. The chickens currently have a 40ft x 5ft run area but I let them out in the yard for several hours each day. Is 12 chickens too many? I know no one can answer this except myself (and my DH who would have liked me to stop at 3 chickens) but I am curious about your opinions. If I go ahead and get the EEs and cochins I will have:

-2 silkies (one is a roo)
-3 BOs (all pullets)
-3 light brahmas (all pullets)
-2 EEs (pullets)
-2 cochins (pullets)

too many for my space? I can't stop! Help!
smile.png

all depends- how big coop? will they free range? do u have room to seperate them if there are roos or aggressive hens towards new comers?

the coops not huge - about 12x8ft - and the run is about 5x40ft. They do free range at least 2 hrs per day and usually 2 full days on the weekends (I have dogs so they have to share the yard).

I look at them now in the space and 4 more seems like not a problem at all b/c they have so much space. Am i crazy? If I do this, it would be 12 chickens total. Hmmm......
hmm.png

OOPS!! I meant that my coop is 12x 4 ft - but still enough for 12 chickens, right?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions - just want to be responsible about my obsession.
lol.png

Too many chickens is when they are pecking each other because they are cramped for space and annoyed, and when you can't keep up with poop management.

Back
Top Bottom