How many is too many???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jkl79, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    I've really let myself get obsessed with this whole chicken raising business. What started out as a 3 chicken project, is currently at 8. Tomorrow, I am picking up 2 EE chicks, and then in about a month, I'm expecting a few baby blue cochins.

I live in the suburbs and have a very large backyard. The chickens currently have a 40ft x 5ft run area but I let them out in the yard for several hours each day. Is 12 chickens too many? I know no one can answer this except myself (and my DH who would have liked me to stop at 3 chickens) but I am curious about your opinions. If I go ahead and get the EEs and cochins I will have:

-2 silkies (one is a roo)
    -3 BOs (all pullets)
    -3 light brahmas (all pullets)
    -2 EEs (pullets)
    -2 cochins (pullets)

too many for my space? I can't stop! Help! [​IMG]

2. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    all depends- how big coop? will they free range? do u have room to seperate them if there are roos or aggressive hens towards new comers?

3. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    the coops not huge - about 12x8ft - and the run is about 5x40ft. They do free range at least 2 hrs per day and usually 2 full days on the weekends (I have dogs so they have to share the yard).

I look at them now in the space and 4 more seems like not a problem at all b/c they have so much space. Am i crazy? If I do this, it would be 12 chickens total. Hmmm......[​IMG]

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Not too many. [​IMG]

5. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    Will you tell my hubby that?!? What are 4 more chickens??

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    a 12 X 8 coop will handle 24 heavy breed chickens. 32 standard sized chickens, and 48 bantams. So get some more [​IMG]

7. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    OOPS!! I meant that my coop is 12x 4 ft - but still enough for 12 chickens, right?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions - just want to be responsible about my obsession. [​IMG]

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yep 12 is fine

9. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    There is no such thing as "Too Many Chickens!" [​IMG]

Seriously, 12 chickens is a nice number as long as you can care for them I would think.

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Too many chickens is when they are pecking each other because they are cramped for space and annoyed, and when you can't keep up with poop management.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by