how many is too many?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by windnleavesfarm, Aug 13, 2013.

1. windnleavesfarm

windnleavesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    central new york
    I am building a 8x12 chicken coop with a huge amount of run out space but how many chickens can i fit in this coop? These chickens will stay in the coop over the winter with heat. but how many can i fit?

2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    12 maybe

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    The most often quoted rule of thumb is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. Since your coop is your run in the winter, you'll want to go with the 10 sq ft rule, so you are looking at 10 birds. You can go higher, but you may end up with pecking issues due to a lack of space. If you keep them busy in the winter, they will tend to get along better. I read somewhere of someone who collects phone books so the chickens can shed them during the winter! I kept my birds in the coop the first winter I had them, andthe next summer I ended up building a 16x16 roofed in run to give my birds some room when the snow comes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Do you mean you will not allow the chickens to go into the run in the winter?

Most chicken breeds can handle pretty cold weather. There are many pictures on this board of chickens walking in the snow.

By the way, Thomas, that is a very nice coop and run. I love that barn style.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. windnleavesfarm

Aug 13, 2013
    central new york

no! Never would i allow my chickens out in the winter!!! I live in upstate newyork its not warm up here! I have had chickens get sick and die cause its so cold. In this coop there will be a heater and insolated.

6. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Okay, that's your choice. As mentioned, you should have 10 or fewer chickens if you will keep them in the coop.

What type of chickens do you have?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. windnleavesfarm

Aug 13, 2013
    central new york
    Rhode island reds(12) and im getting barnevelders (6) and im getting more rhode island reds probably (12) er so im undecided right now.

8. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Do you plan to keep the 30 chickens in the coop you mentioned?

9. windnleavesfarm

Aug 13, 2013
    central new york
    Yes. i do. In books i have read a coop this size is just fine. and we can always add on too the summer isn't over yet.

10. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

A coop 8 by 12 is right for a maximum of 24 chickens, if you have 10 square feet of run space per chicken. You just said you will not allow the chickens to go into the run in the winter. That means you should not have more than 10 chickens in your coop.

You either need a larger coop or you need to allow your chickens into the run in the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by