1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many large eggs can a bantam hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UBkevy, Jul 2, 2011.

1. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I have decided to get silkies and a few bantam cochins to hatch out eggs for me. But I do not know how many large eggs they can hatch. And if any colors are better at it then others.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I usually put 6 - 8 eggs.

3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

5 large eggs is the most my bantam cochins can completely cover.

4. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    gave my japanese bantam 6 guinea eggs to sit on and she wiggled them under...put 2 more in front of her and she looked at me like i had a screw loose. went back to check her lke 15 minutes later andd she had pushed them away....so 6 is her limit for guinea eggs. [​IMG]

5. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    ok, so if i wanted to hatch out 25 hens a season, thats approx 50 chicks. So I need atleast 8 hens, and if I buy shipped hatching egss then i would need no less then 10 hens haha

6. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    my banty sat on 9 and it was too many. One to two were always sticking out and they were a mix of large eggs and banty eggs

7. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:only 4 hatched.

8. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    My banty is currently hiding out (I found her in a old dog house), but she is covering 11 eggs some are banty eggs and some are regular eggs.

9. ChickieWoo

ChickieWoo Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks for posting this. I have 2 broody bantam hens and I was wondering the same thing. Not sure, I just gave them 2 regular size eggs. Now I can give them the rest that I have.

10. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    you may be asking the wrong question - I would question how many large chicks can a banty hen keep warm? Here is my Lisa with her 5 week old lf chick on their first night in the big coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by