How many lbs of feed do they eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Horsefly, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I am wondering how many pounds of feed does one actively laying chicken eat in a day, on average. This number being a chicken confined to their coop and run. I have freerange chickens and I feed them roughly 1 1/4-2 lbs of feed a day and they are always hungry when they get fed. I am thinking of building a PVC feeder and keeping it full of food all the time and would like to know about how much food they would go through in a day.
    Also does anyone know how much food 1 quail will eat in a day? Thanks

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    They say a chicken needs to eat about about 1/4 pound of feed for a heavy breed and a 1/3 of a pound for a light breed chicken. But that can vary if they get treats during the day, have access to free ranging and other things to eat. Some of my girls, however eat more than this, and some eat less. And they won't eat their food unless it is freshly put in their feeder! (spoiled rotten) [​IMG]

As far as quail, they will eat MAYBE a small handful of feed a day. They are not big eaters. Depends on the time of year. They will eat more during breeding season than during the rest of the year. I feed my quail chick starter and a mixture of sunflower seeds, millet, nuts and cockatiel food. (They absolutely HATE gamebird food) Of course they love the treats too! [​IMG]

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Why would a lighter bird eat more than a heavy bird?
    Light bird = 5.3 oz vs Heavy bird =4 oz.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:That's stated backwards, but is right on the mark.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Why would a lighter bird eat more than a heavy bird?
    Light bird = 5.3 oz vs Heavy bird =4 oz.

Sorry! A dyslexia moment!!! I did get that backwards. [​IMG]

6. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks, that's just what I needed to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by