How many lives does a chicken have?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sjisty, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Chrissie, my first chicken, has had quite a life. A few years ago she survived when her sister, Janet, was taken by a fox. Now this year she has survived a hawk attack, with help from my hubby. He heard a noise and saw her running across the yard for her life with the hawk running, yes running, after her. Obviously it missed its strike and just didn't know Chrissie is such a fighter! Chrissie has raised many foster babies over the almost five years we have had her and currently has two partridge Brahma foster chicks. I don't know what she is, but she is a little bundle of fire. When she's on eggs, you don't put your hand within a foot or too of her, if you want to keep your fingers.

This brings us to today. We have a three-month-old German Shephard puppy and have fenced off a big part of the yard for him, because chickens are just squeaky toys to him so far. As best as I can tell, Chrissie's babies walked through the fence into his yard this morning. Chrissie, the good mom, must have jumped over to be with them. I wsa here at my computer when I heard barking, the up-to-no-good type of bark, so I ran outside. There was Kris, the puppy, mouthing Chrissie. Feathers were everywhere and Chrissie was a filthy mess! I immediately screamed at the dog and brought him inside. Chrissie got up and walked a few steps and then just laid down again. I was sure she was a goner. She wouldn't let me close - every time I tried she would get up and walk away. There was no sign of chicks anywhere, but I heard peeping, so I walked around the yard and soon saw one of her chicks. It ran up to her and she still just laid there. After a long search and giving up on chick #2, I went inside. I got a box ready to put Chrissie and chick in and went back out to see her with BOTH chicks, alive and well! She had gotten all the way under my azaleas, so I couldn't reach her. I still figured she was a goner.

Long story short - I had to go into town. When I came home (with watermelons for the chickens), I was surprised to see Chrissie, minus most of her tail and a lot of feathers missing on both sides, come running for watermelon with both chicks, acting like she was fine! I'm hoping she has nine lives like a cat, because I'm counting at least three used by now!

These pictures are from before today. She will be beautiful again - she is one scrappy little bantam hen!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    So glad to hear she's OK at the moment. She looks like a great hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by