How many Males Can I Put Together..?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PoultryParadise, Dec 2, 2010.

1. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    I am just starting out with my first quail. My husband brought home 9 in a box, he saw a sign on an old country road and stopped, of course, and bought some quail at random.
    So there are 5 females and 3 males, yes I know 5+3=8 not 9, as I said I am just starting out with quail and didn't realize how well they fly.
    So I have them in my brooder for now, will be moving them to their wire cages which I have just been setting up, they are 4 months old, bobwhites. How many males per cage? The cages are big. I don't know how the 5 females will handle 3 males come mating season? I may eat one to even the numbers out.
    So, can I house 2 males with 5 females and not have fighting? Or should I seperate the 2 males and give them each some females?
    Help is appreciated, as I surely need it!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    You'll Find That Unless Kept In A Very Large Pen Bobs Do Best As Pairs, Possibly Trios Depending On The Hens And If They Will Peacefully Cohabitate.

3. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks, the individual cage sizes are 3 feet by 3 feet for the winter. In the spring they will have an outside run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by