How many males should you have in one pen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by carlala_, Sep 12, 2011.

1. carlala_

carlala_ Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Andalusia, AL
    I have 1 peking and 2 mallards. First I thought they were all girls, until one of my mallard's heads started turning green, now the other mallard's head is turning green and my peking has a curled tail feather...I think I have 3 boys. Will that be a problem?

2. BCchick

BCchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    I think it depends. I have 4 pekins. 3 drakes and one duck. They have all been raised together, and all the boys get along just fine. Granted, they are only about 23 weeks old now, but they have always gotten along really well so far. The biggest issue I have is the girl not wanting to get in the pool when the boys are in there. They all want to mate with her at once! She waits and swims when they aren't in there. Smart girl. [​IMG]

3. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I would suggest getting more females and/or separating them during their mating season. It's dangerous for her.

If you don't have female ducks they don't have anything to fight over. but still keep an eye on them. If their fine their fine! [​IMG]

4. carlala_

carlala_ Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Andalusia, AL
    Thanks. They have been together since they were little ducklings and as you can tell, they aren't full grown yet. But they are fine now, have never seen them fight or anything. Its reassuring to get a second opinion though.

5. BCchick

BCchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Quote:I would suggest getting more females and/or separating them during their mating season. It's dangerous for her.

If you don't have female ducks they don't have anything to fight over. but still keep an eye on them. If their fine their fine! [​IMG]

Yes, we have a backup plan if things start to get out of hand. [​IMG]
    I have a home lined up for two of the boys, but I don't want to have to give them away if I don't have to, ya know? We're just keeping a close eye out for any major issues. So far everything has worked out. When exactly is mating season? Spring? They've been mating for weeks now.

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have 3 drakes and several hens. Mine get along fine for a while, then they fight for a while, then they get along fine again. I just let them work it out for themselves, but I do have more hens than drakes--6 hens 3 drakes.

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I have three drakes and two hens. Only my rouen male and female breed, the others dont, I have no idea why lol.

8. Jay-Mar28

Jay-Mar28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Im going to have 3 male muscovies to 7 remale. Should that be a decent ratio for them to get along once their hormones flare up lol.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Lucky girl! Three drakes attempting to gang breed one hen is almost a guarantee for drowning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by