How many meal worms can a chicken eat?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by undine, Oct 2, 2013.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    is there a limit to how much they eat?? if they eat too much of it wont the meal worms start trying to eat their gizzard and what not? How many times a week should i feed them and how much? lol my 6 week old easter egger gobbled like probably over 40...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mealworms are usually given as a treat or used when training, so you shouldn't let your birds eat too many at a time.A handful once a day, if that, is about what I would feed.

I have heard of mealworms biting through the crop and/or gizzard, but don't know if that fact has been proven. If you want to be safe, you could either feed freeze-dried mealworms or kill each mealworm before letting your birds eat them.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that they'll be fine, no matter how many mealworms they eat. Still, as Bantamlover21 said, mealworms should really be given as treats, so don't give too many every day.

4. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    That sounds good. Thanks :)

5. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I hope shes going to be fine :( her little silkie buddy was supposed to have some of the share too, but i guess she wasnt paying attention so the easter egger just gobbled alll of it up for herself >=( Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by