how many nest boxes per hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by islandchix, Jul 4, 2011.

1. islandchix

islandchix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Hawaii
    I have four hens and one nest box. Is this good enough? All two of our eggs were found in the box lol, but they range all day too and I'm wondering if some of them are laying in the yard or do they know to share the box? [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Usually one box for 4 hens is enough. I have heard of 9 hens using the same box even when more boxes are available! You can add another if you wish, or even get a 5 gallon bucket, lay it on it's side and put nesting material in there for them. Keep it out in the yard for those hens that won't lay in the coop. [​IMG]

3. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    I have five nest boxes for 18 hens and they only use two. I have never had an egg layed anywhere except in a nest box. They go in the coop to lay eggs and come right back out.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    One nest box is fine for 4 girls. I also have golf balls in my nest boxes. They do tend to all use the same nest boxes.
    [​IMG]

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have provided four lovely nest boxes for my thirteen girls. The eggs usually end up concentrated in only two of them each day.

6. islandchix

islandchix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Hawaii
    alright! Thanks for the replies. Looks like 1 box should be fine. The gals aren't complaining so I'll just leave be [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by