How Many Nest Boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FyreFly, Jul 3, 2011.

1. FyreFly

FyreFly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Indiana
    I have been looking over coop plans and noticed that they have space for more hens than they do nest boxes. For example, the plan will say that it houses 5 hens but allows for 1 or 2 nest boxes. Do hens need one box per bird or will they share?

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I've always heard that 4 hens/1 nest box is a good ratio.

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Yes, they tend to pile into the same nest boxes or line up and wait their turn!! I have 4 nest boxes and 17 hens. There's usually one box unused at all times.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

! to 2 boxes is right on for 5 birds. They will figure out which one they like and ignore the other one

5. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    may I ask a question? Are too many nest boxes a deterent to laying? We build before we knew chickens well.....hind sight is wonderful, but we over killed for sure. Will that matter?

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Quote:I doubt that too many boxes would be a big problem, but others with more experience can correct me. At the very least you'll have to look through a lot of boxes in order to find the occasional egg. Maybe you could cover a few of them up, or convert them into storage.

7. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I think for 5 hens, 2 or 3 would be great.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Actually, I think they like having some choice, even though they seem to argue over their favorites. Mine definitely like having different types -- they change their favorites around periodically. Right now they are ignoring the open top one; 6 months ago I would find 3 or 4 eggs in it.

Sure would be easy to convert many styles of nest boxes into a cabinet or two for storage!

9. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    thanks....I may just see what happens when they start laying! Still waiting...tapping foot.[​IMG] almost 16/17 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by