How Many Nest Boxes??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by florida lee, Jul 9, 2011.

1. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have 8 heavy chicks, may get 2 to 4 more. How many nest boxes will I need..... i am planning on 4. But maybe that is too many.
    I now have 3 boxes in my tractor but chicks are too young yet, so the nests are boarded off.
    Building a new much larger semi permanent coop and rethinking the number of boxes. These boxes like the others will be outside accessible. (half in ,half out side coop.)
    I hate to waste time and material to make 4 nest boxes to only have them use 2.

HOW MANY NEST BOXES DO YOU HAVE PER 10 CHICKENS??

thanks

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Three should be enough really. I have 5 in my laying coop and 20 girls in there that share them all just fine. They are pretty big nest boxes. In my duck coop I just have 1 giant nest box that they share and it works really well.

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would go with the four you have planned... that way, you can get more chickens!

4. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Thanks all,,, I will go with the 4 boxes as planned. I will have room for 20 hens,,, only have 8 now. But trying to talk wife into 2 to4 more....maybe a couple of Jersey
    Giants and 2 buff orp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by