how many nesting boxes and perches ???......

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Johnpm72, May 16, 2008.

1. Johnpm72

Johnpm72 New Egg

May 16, 2008
    hi, i newbie chicken guy and i love this site !!! very , very helpful. my question is, I am in the process of building a coop for my 12 new girls. I'm not sure how many nesting boxes i will need and how long or how many perches or roosts there should be. thanks for all you help..... john

2. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    uhm well i think the general rule of thumb is a nest box for each bird and maybe 3 or 4 roost will do.. but i'll leave this up to another more experienced "chickener" oh and [​IMG]

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

for my 500 chickens i have 30 feet of roosts from the floor to about 5-6 feet at an angle and about 10 nexting boxes with 15-30 holes.

4. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    500 chickens!?
    thats alot of chickens and feed for them!
    im jealous...

5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

O sorry forgot my 50 byc too [​IMG]

6. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I think for 12 birds four nests would be enough. Not sure about the roosts though.

7. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Typically a foot of length on the roost for each bird. The best roost is one made with a 2 x 4 and sanded so the edges aren't square. If you need to have more than one roost, make sure that they are the same height. This is important because of pecking order, etc. Also make sure that the roost is at least a foot from the wall.

As for nesting boxes, it's typically 1 box for 3 or 4 hens. They take turns.

There are a number of good resources... if you go to the 'learning center' on this site, you'll see all about coops. Also some good books....

All the best.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  8. Johnpm72

Johnpm72 New Egg

May 16, 2008
    thanks allot...ill post pics of the coop when its finished

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    What McGoo said

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by