How many nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kmdsparrow, May 16, 2010.

1. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    We just picked up six chicks and are building our coop. How many nesting boxes do we need? One per bird?

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

It is recommend one nest box to 4 or 5 hens. So 2 or 3 would probably be what you need.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    with just six birds you can get away with one or two. I have Eight boxes and most of my birds just use only one of the boxes, they all seem to pick a favorite. They only had a second favorite when I didn't get out to collect the eggs fast enough.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    can you hear me now? :

with just six birds you can get away with one or two. I have Eight boxes and most of my birds just use only one of the boxes, they all seem to pick a favorite. They only had a second favorite when I didn't get out to collect the eggs fast enough.

And you have a lot of birds!!! I was worrying that my 4 boxes wasn't going to be enough for my 19 hens but I feel better already! [​IMG]

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Yep, with 6 you'll only need 1 or 2. We have 4 nesting boxes. And I usually find most of the eggs in 1 box with 1 or 2 in another. They even like to lay in the same box at the same time. We've had up to 4 girls in 1 box at the same time (they were squished) with empty boxes right next to them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Heh, great picture! Do they think they're chickens or sardines?!

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:And you have a lot of birds!!! I was worrying that my 4 boxes wasn't going to be enough for my 19 hens but I feel better already! [​IMG]

I am glad if I helped any. Honestly I need to update my birds i have about thirty five now. Will have more later but not gotten out to build more houses [​IMG]

8. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

You will want to build more Trust Meeeeeeeeee! you always want more birds so you mightas well get it done while you are building it oh and btw build the coop bigger then you want as well...

The answer to this question however is 3 that will be enough.

9. Yogaliciouschick

Yogaliciouschick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    I started out with 6 chickens and the next spring it has turned into 15. I have to build a new coop and everything. No matter if you think you will not get anymore chickens or not...you will! It is a horrible addiction, but the best therapy! I actually did not build any nest boxes for my chickens. They just lay them in the corners, typically all together. In the new coop I plan on putting 4 nest boxes.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

In one pen I've got 25-30 BLRW hens. They have 4 nesting boxes available to them......they only use two of them and most eggs are only in the one box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by