How many nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenFarrmers, Oct 31, 2013.

1. ChickenFarrmers

ChickenFarrmers New Egg

Oct 8, 2013
    How many nesting boxes should I have if I'm looking at 6-10 chickens? I've read on here that you don't want them to spend all their time in the boxes, so I shouldn't have one for every hen?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. rainlips

rainlips Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    They say one box for ever 3-4 hens... So you could get away with 3. I have 10 hens myself and 12 boxes but that's how my coop was built when I moved into my house. I can't even get my girls to lay eggs sooo no worries on spending all their time in the boxes! Lol
    Of course they are all different :)

3. TomGallopavo

TomGallopavo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Hillbillyville, MO
    This has been answered many times...

I have anywhere between eight and twenty chickens at any given time. I have two nest boxes and unless I have a broody hen, things go fine. You could build a bunch but they will have a favorite and go there anyway. Mine are big enough that two will lay at the same time in the same box.

I would have two if I were you....put them below the roost.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I would make 3 nest boxes personally and get 2 - 6 more chickens.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  5. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I would go for 4 nest boxes. Just to makes sure that they can all pick their favorite, and that if one hen is on one box, the other chicken can be in another.

6. ChickenFarrmers

ChickenFarrmers New Egg

Oct 8, 2013
    Thanks for the help folks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by