How many of ya'll actually do this with your chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mattake2, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Mattake2

Mattake2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    Most people advise you to leave your chicks in the bator for at least 8 hours before moving them to the brooder. How soon do you take 'em out?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Eh... sure, I leave mine in and NEVER open the bator [​IMG]

no...darnit, I broke the cardinal rule [​IMG] [​IMG] I removed mine as soon as they were fluffy because they were creating chaos in the bator. Ask me again after this hatch though, as I have fixed the trouble areas [​IMG] Some also took to panting... so I pulled them out because they seemed stressed.

3. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    I take mine out as soon as they are fluffy and dry and are moving about pretty good. Don't want them stomping and messing with my eggs that haven't hatched yet. As long as you have a good heat lamp for your brooder, I think your safe when they are nice and dry. Just my opinion though! [​IMG]

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I remove mine from the incubator within an hour of one hatching, but my brooder is on the table right next to it. They don't have much time to get chilled because they don't travel far [​IMG] . I don't like to leave them in the bator because they knock the other eggs around (Isn't it pretty important eggs don't get repositioned once little occupants start working on their escape holes?) plus I worry about them getting injured on the wire floor, etc.
    If a chick is particularly wet or not fluffing up well, sometimes I'll hold them somewhat closer to brooder lamp for extra warmth for first few minutes, and rub them gently with a dry washcloth.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I leave mine until the hatch is complete or about 2 days.If it is getting crowdd and the humidity is high,I will snatch them out as quickly as possible.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I try and leave mine in until the hatch is completely finished so I don't mess up the temp. and humidity levels in the bator. I left a few of mine in the bator last hatch for a little over 24 hours. It's best to leave them until the hatch is all done so you don't mess up the other chicks that are hatching! [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I leave them in the bator until the hatch is complete unless I have a crowded bator and a bunch of chicks are creating havoc for those left to try to hatch.

It really is best not to open the incubator until your hatch is complete.

Opening changes the hatching environment. The incubator never fully recovers the same humidity and temp conditions created over 3 days of waiting and resting for a hatch. Opening the incubator is one of the biggest causes of poor hatch rates and eggs pipping and failing to hatch properly and usually dieing.

There will always be a few who say they open the bator and still have great hatch rates. That is not the norm. They beat the odds.

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ayup, I do agree with speck, I can't wait to get them into a warm brood box, then they don't fall all over the eggs and bap their heads on the heat element.

9. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    I tried to leave mine in the bator, honest I did! [​IMG]

But I was just so darn excited to play with my babies, that I had to remove them. And the other were hatching so slowly that the total hatch was about three days long.

I just couldn't stand looking at them through the glass any longer. [​IMG]

Maybe next hatch I will be more self-controlled. [​IMG]

10. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    [​IMG] I leave them till they are fluffy then move them. I actually lost an egg because I left them in too long and they moved it around... almost like a big ol' soccer ball! So I think it got so disoriented that after it pipped the air sac it couldn't get out (just a theory though) but it was moving on day 19...

So fluffy and dry for me... then the brooder.

Ok and I'll admit to wanting to play with the babies too! UGH you hold them candling but not the same when they are fluffy butts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by