How many of you guys have worm bins?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Big dreams, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I just started a worm bin and had a few questions, anyone else do this? I know some of you are on the gardening site so thought maybe someone could tell me if leaves from the yard and shreded newspaper, all damp, is enough for them to eat for a little bit. Thank you in advance...

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    NOT YET, but I am watching and learning.......[​IMG]

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    You can start there, a few carrot peels or such would help. Mine eat mostly bunny poo and whatever shreads fall from the bunny yard.

4. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    My daughter has a bunny I should add some bunny poo? I only have a couple of handfuls of worms and I am using a 18 gal. Rubermaid tub, with holes drilled in it, I looked up how to online. The bottom of my bin is very damp, the middle a little less and the top just barely damp, I do still see moving worms and didn't see any dead, so guess its ok. How much bunny poo should I add?

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Cool I have 3 bunnies from which to gather poo, I like this post, I learned something already [​IMG]

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Ours are litterbox trained (bunnies not worms), so we just dump the bunny box, litter and all in every week or two. But our bin is pretty lively, start with a cup or 2 of droppings, when you don't see a bunch of dropping add more.

7. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    Ok, Thank you so much I appreciate it, so do my worms.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I plan on throwing some red wigglers in the compost bin in the spring

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I use European night crawlers [​IMG] Best fishing worms out there, and they are compost worms like red wigglers!

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I just have a bucket of worms from the garden that I dug up on warmer days.Slim pickings now for my frogs so I am going to buy some red wigglers I saw at the pet store. I usually blend up some veggie scraps and pour it in the bucket. I ordered mealworms for the forgs,and the wigglers will be for some worm droppings for the garden beds.I am amazed at the cost of composted poop(worm,chicken,rabbit) sold at the stores.I should sell poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by