How many of you hatchers also vaccinate for Marek's?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tylt33, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, and I HAVE NOT had any chickens get Marek's.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, and I HAVE had chickens get Marek's.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Hi gang,

I need a new addiction and I'm thinking that hatching eggs might be the addiction I'm looking for. However, I'm really hung up on the Marek's issue and feel that I should be vaccinating any chicks that I hatch. How many of you vaccinate? Needles make me queasy. As in, really queasy. As in, even talking about needles gives me an anxiety attack. How difficult is vaccinating? I've looked it up online and can only make it so far into reading about it before I feel ill. I'm not sure I can do it. I feel ill again.

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    HA! I'm so glad someone else has problems with needles. Is Marek's prevalent in your area? If so, maybe you could pay someone to come and vaccinate the chicks.
    My hatchery birds have been vaccinated, but not my newly hatched chicks. I may be taking a chance here, but I did not research how to vaccinate. If I remember correctly, I think I read on here that you have to buy a large quantity of vaccine, but I may have that wrong.

3. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:Yes, you have to buy a large quantity. I don't know if it is prevalent in my area or not...

4. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Who/what department do I contact to find out the prevalence of Marek's disease in my county?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by