1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many people have never had a BROODY hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ericasl, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I was wondering how many of you chicken folk have never had a broody hen. I now silkies are always wanting to be mothers, and RIR's are not a broody breed, but for everyone eles how has chickens that could be broody what are the odds, and do they go broody more in spring, summer, fall or winter, or does it not matter at all. Just when the hormones get flowing?

Can you tell I am going broody crazy.[​IMG] I think I would sit on the eggs myself if I could.[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It depends on the bird and a bit on the breed, and how their hormones are flowing. Cochins and silkies are pretty good at going broody on you, while production strains are less likely so.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have never had one but I have only had chickens for about 6 months.

Henry

4. clucker

clucker New Egg

Apr 21, 2008
    We have 8 RIR, 1 Plymouth Rock, 1 Americuana they are about 2 years old. The one is sitting but I am not sure this is the same as Broody. Someone said they will lose there feathers on there chest. Is this always true? How can you tell the difference between sitting and Broody? How old are thye usually when this occurs?

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have 5 hens, 2 Dominiques and 3 Dominique mixes. Four of the 5 have tried to go broody this spring. This is a case of "be careful what you wish for". I so wanted a broody hen!

You will know they are broody. They sit on the nest for hours on end, puff up their feathers, and make strange sounds when you approach them. The sounds have been different for all four hens, but nonetheless, very strange sounds.

The first hen was broody, so I gave her 4 eggs to hatch. The next 2 that started to go broody, I kept removing them from the nests, and broke them of it. Meanwhile, the broody hatched 4 chicks. Very cool!

The fourth hen was determined, and the new chicks were so cute, I gave her 8 eggs to sit on.

But egg production is DOWN! I wanted to make a cake the other day, and had no eggs! [​IMG]

Edited to add: My girls are one year old.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Quote:I read that if you try to reach under them and they sqawk, throw a fit but get up and leave then they are not "truly" broody. If you reach under and she puffs up her chest, throws a fit on you and doesn't leave then she is "truly" broody.

I've nvr had a broody hen but I read allllloooootttt of books and magazines on the subject so I don't actually have 1st hand knowledge, lol. Hopefully someday I will [​IMG]

7. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    My Aracauna has never brooded. I've had her three years now and she was laying when I got her so I have no idea how old she is.

At this moment I have two on the nest, one 1/2 black sexlink that broods all the time and my RIR, Rhoda. This is her second go around this season.

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    My favorrel hen was acting funny today but maybe she just wanted to try her luck and sleep in the nest box and went to bed early we will see tommarow.

Henry

9. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR TWO YEARS [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    My favorrel hen was acting funny today but maybe she just wanted to try her luck and sleep in the nest box and went to bed early we will see tommarow.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by