How many people here raise their chickens as pets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jenniferlamar70, Jun 10, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I'm curious on this because I'm a vegetarian not vegan.. I love chickens I always have my whole life. I love the egg factor. But just feel the most passionate about the animal. Growing up around poultry farmers I feel like the odd ball lol. Are their others that feel this way or is it just me?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i don't raise chickens as pets but i am very passionate about them and i love them all dearly

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I think just as many people here on BYC raise poultry for meat and eggs as they do for pets. I was raised in a family that did raise chickens for meat and eggs, however I raise mine as pets. Not sure if watching them go to the chopping block scarred me or what. LOL But I cant eat my birds. I get too close to them.

1 person likes this.
  4. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Lol I'm the same way. I mean I understand the other side of it. I couldn't kill one of my birds though. :) they all come running to me when I open the gate just like dogs. They jump in my lap or lay on my shoulder just snuggling. Growing up around farms made me realize livestock are more like our dogs then we realize.. made it to hard for me to eat them lol even though I know they taste good. :)

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

Yes, I have a bunch of lap sitters. They follow me around like drooling puppies. LOL I could never eat them.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. 45ishChickenMom

45ishChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    [​IMG]I refer to our 3 hens as pets with benefits. :) My daughters treat them like indoor dogs. Very spoiled, but they do live outside with our very vocal rooster boy.

1 person likes this.
  7. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    My chickens are definitely my pets. They all have names, they come when I called them. They're not as tame as some people's chickens are but that's OK by me. I will not eat them but I don't think badly of people who do.

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    ME TOO! I refer to my chickens as "Pets with Benefits" which I've had to explain, glad someone else knows what I mean :)

9. Casper101Popcor

Casper101Popcor Chillin' With My Peeps

I did have them for pets, yes. The eggs were tasty, too ;)

10. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Mine are kinda pets, and I treat them well. Love the fresh eggs. But I also like to hatch, and can only have so many chickens, and only need 1 rooster........

So I end up eating the extra boys.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by