How many people out there have a Female Mandarin who ends up coloring up some?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by chickenlisa, Oct 9, 2012.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    and looks sort of like a male but not all the way? I have 1 who does that and even lays eggs, but they are infertile. I know someone else who bought some young 2012 Mandarins from me and he has a female who was perfectly feathered as a female her first year, and then molted out and colored up as a male, even with sail feathers, bars on her shoulders, etc....what causes this and how many people have this strange he/she duck?
    Lisa

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How old is she? It sounds like a "hormonal Sex Change"

3. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    mine is a 2011 female, and I'm not sure how old my friend's is...about the same age though.

4. littlebluefarm

littlebluefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    hi...we use to own a pair and the female did that the second year too and her plumage was almost exactly like a male but lighter and her beak was even changing color too....and I thought ours was the only one that does that...guess not huh??

5. Mark HSV-AL

Mark HSV-AL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Here is a picture of a female from this springs/2012 Hatch. I raised 84 Mandarins this year and this one had me confused for a little while as I thought it was a male that was taking its time coloring out. I sexed it and it was a female. Notice the long neck feathers like the mane on a male Mandarin as well as the coloring on the sides of the chest and white right behind the beak. I guess I could have sold it as a Blue Winged Teal Mandarin hybrid.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. littlebluefarm

littlebluefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    yes that's exactly how our look likes...have you found out wat causes that? I thought it was just stress that made it do that but unsure..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by