How many people use the dry incubation method?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 27, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I was just checking my incubation info, as well as causes to problems and such. I have a lot of problem with eggs hatching 2-3 days early. I have tried adding a fan, lowering the temps, almost everything to keep this from happening.
    The info that I have stored in my bookmarks (3 different sites) all say humidity should be at least 50% for the first 18 days. It also said that early hatches could be caused from low humidity?

I am no longer going to keep my humidity so low. How many people actually use this successfully?

2. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I have dry hatched for 3 years and here it is the only way I can get a hatch- Forget the rules find out what works for you - I have not measured humidity in anything for that amount of time --I can hatch anything now --

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It seems to do ok with my chickens, but I had quail a few weeks ago, and got 3 chicks from 38 eggs. Most of the eggs were scrambled by the P.O., but there were 3 others that died after pipping the membrane or the shell. Plus they always come out sticky, and they always hatch out early. I always have at least one pip on day 18, with most chicks out by end of day 19.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Hatching early has more to do with too high of temps, not the humidity.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have read on numerous sites that it can be caused by both. I have 4 different thermometers, and they are all pretty much the same, so I know the temps aren't too high. Everyone says bantams should hatch in 21 days like everything else, so this is my last resort.

6. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    I followed instructions two and kept my humidity at 50< I would have 1or 2 make it the rest would drown at membrane pip, It was so sad. I started dry hatching and my hatch rate went sky hi, For dry hatch to really work though you need to keep your home humidity around 50 to 55, I try to keep humidity in bator around 32 first eighteen days and only add a couple teaspoon fulls when humidity drops to 25, Then on the eighteenth day I up my humidity for the hatch. Have not had any drown since.I do not in the first eighteen days let my humidity get over 40 but like it at the low end or middle of 30s

7. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Quote:I am trying this method for the first time on a batch of D'uccles. I kept humidity at 40%, and now have eggs in the hatcher with 65% humidity. Eggs were shipped from TN to OK, and 10 out of 12 made it to the hatcher. 11th egg was not fertile, 12th died in first couple days. Day 20 and I have my first pip. I am very pleased with this method, and have increased my success by 80% so far.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I usually have pretty good hatch rates, they are just always early.

9. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Quote:LOL...I wish mine were early...I hate waiting!

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My last 2 hatches were 3 of 3 and 9 of 11, so that's pretty good! I just worry about them having rough navels and such. I have had to help some that were stuck.

Does anyone use it with quail? I am supposed to be getting some more eggs, hopefully tomorrow, and I don't want to mess these up!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by