how many quail can i keep in this pen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bella1210, Aug 14, 2010.

1. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    it is going to be 16ft x 25ft an 5-6 ft tall.we are just raising them an then selling them when they are grown.we will have bobwhites.thanks for the help.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Roughly 400 Sq Ft, In Community Housing Like That I Recommend At Least 2 Sq Ft Per Bird For Bobs As A Minimum (bobs Now, Not Coturnix-- Big Difference) So Roughly 200 Birds. But If You Push Maximum Density Like That You'll Need To Definately Thin Them Down As Soon As Possible Upon Maturing. They're Mean Lil Suckers And Will Beat The Snot Out Of Each Other Quite Visciously In A Contained Environment Like This. So As Soon As They Get To Be Teenagers, Say 18 Wks Of Age Or So You Will Likely Start To Experience Agression Problems (if Not Sooner) So Keep A Close Eye On Them As They Grow, Or Get Good At Using No Peck Bits. Also Plan Your Pen Accordingly... These Guys Are Like Taco Bell To Predators And The Predators Will Come From Miles Around To Get Them, So Make The Pen Quite Bomb Proof.

3. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    that is fine for use i want to raise 150 - 200 an i am going to let alot of them go at my house so if they get rowdy i can let a few out.lol

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Quote:You might want to check with your state game and fish or DNR for regulations on the release of Bob Whites.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:You might want to check with your state game and fish or DNR for regulations on the release of Bob Whites.

ABSOLUTELY! NOT ONLY WILL THEY DIE IN RECORD NUMBERS (85+% IF DONE CORRECTLY, NEARLY 100% IF NOT DONE CORRECTLY))BUT IN MANY STATES THIS IS HIGHLY ILLEGAL. AND BY DOING SO YOU CAN INFECT THE WILD POPULATION WITH A MYRAID OF DISEASES THAT WILL KILL ALL QUAIL FOR 3 STATES IN ANY DIRECTION. SO BEFORE DOING THIS YOU NEED TO WORK WITH YOUR FISH AND GAME DEPT AND LEARN WHAT TO DO AND HOW TO DO IT.... BOBS FOR RELEASE/ RESTOCKING IS A SPECIFIC ART FORM AND TAKES A LIL MORE DOING THAN JUST HATCHING THEM FOR IT TO BE SUCESSFUL. GOOD LUCK WITH IT [​IMG]

6. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    we use them for dog training it is legal to use them for this purpose in most states.we have not done this in about 10 years but last time we trained the dogs the 8-10 quail that were releasd were around for about 4-5 years i think they have trouble hatching in the wild no setters maybe because i never saw any little ones we have a couple of nice fields with tons of cover around them we have about 40-50 cords of wood all over the out skirts of the field in 1 cord piles so the always hung out in them.going to raise them in outdoor flight pens to keep them a little more wild 95% of them will be sold or used for eggs but if it gets to crowded i will let the dogs get a little work in [​IMG] thanks for all the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by