how many quail? -pen size

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tweetyflights, Jan 23, 2011.

1. tweetyflights

tweetyflights Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Hi again, OK so come spring I'm planning on constructing a coop/run. It would be a "playhouse" style coop with some modifications because instead of chickens it would be used for California valley quail. The run will be 6 feet long x 4 feet wide x 6-5 foot tall slanted roof. This will be the total size as the coop is inside the run but raised of the ground. The coop I'm not exactly sure of how big i want it but I'm thinking 2-3 feet long x 4 feet wide . It will also have the nest boxes attached to the coop ( I don't care if they won't use it, I can still hope [​IMG] ) as well as the usual ramp, perches etc. In the run it'll have perches and natural shrubbery ( not for long though [​IMG] ). I planned on building this for my one, abandoned house quail but they're so addicting I'll probably get more. I'm thinking of 5 total, but i don't want ANY overcrowding could/should I add more/less?. Unfortunately, i can't build anything bigger.

Ps. IT'LL BE COMPLETELY PREDATOR PROOF!

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    The only thing I can say as I havent raised that kind of quail is that it shouldent be that high as they can kill themselves when there exited and they fly straight up.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ohh and that quail dont need perches and that you should start with an easier quail like coturnix.

4. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I remmeber I read somewhere that they need abou 1 sqf per bird

Also this birds find their own couple when breeding season. and the males start to fight if you have to many males in the same pen. they get along very well during winter because they form coveys to keep eachother warm

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    New World Quail Speces... Ie Valley Quail, 2 Sq/ft Per Bird Minimum. 4x6= 24 Sq/ft/2= 12 Max Birds... You'll Be Fine With 5 Or 6 In There. Many Speces Will Perch. Tho You Need Smaller Perches As Their Feet Arent As Large As Say A Chickens Would Be. 6 Ft Hieght Should Be Ok For Them Saftey Wise But Does Warrant Close Observation... You May Even Want To Put A "drop Ceiling" Of Plastic Netting Or Wire In Ther To Prevent Actual Impacts With The Hard Top...

6. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Quote:Thats coturnix quail.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. tweetyflights

tweetyflights Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    k thx guys. and i guess i did forget to mention that under the actual roof their will be bird netting (nylon/plastic some people use it for their gardens) in layers, pulled tight so that if some do startle they will just bounce back down. Oh and would 2x2 work for perches or should i just get some tree branches (non-poisonous of course) ??? I know about the breeding and i do have other cages ( come on hens, hatch! [​IMG] ) in case of other males hatching [​IMG] [​IMG] . Also, my current lone house valley quail is completely tame ( stay's by me outside, follows me around the house, sleeps on us while watching tv etc.) and I'm not saying that these baby's will be but i don't think they'll be too bad in such small numbers. oh and is there any SAFE way to identify my house roo in case any other roo's do hatch? i know about leg banding but these are my pet's and i don't want anything to happen in case of improper banding. also, i know about de- worming etc. from being on the ground.

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Leg Band With Small Zip Tie Will Be Fine.

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Oh For Perches Just Use Smaller Branches

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by