How many quail should I get?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Pet Duck Boy, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    How many coturnix quail should I get to have a somewhat decent supply of eggs for 2 people? We haven't bought the cage yet, but it will be a some what large rabbit cage. Wire bottom.

2. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    6 gals give me 5-6 eggs a day.

3. UmbraVulpis

UmbraVulpis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Naples
    It takes 4-5 coturnix eggs to equal one chicken egg but they tend to lay every day unless you change something. You should be able to figure from that how many quail you need.

My dad was bragging for a while about the 20 egg omlette he made for two people to eat. [​IMG]

4. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    How do you tell male from female? I was just at my feed store, and they had around 8-10 quail. There were light colored ones and dark/maroon colored ones.

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Hard to sex quail! We have the Jumbo Brown Coturnix. They are fairly easy to sex after about 3-4 weeks of age. Females have spotted chest feathers and males have a golden brown solid color on their chest.

6. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    The girl's lay eggs and the boys try to climb on the backs of the girls. Otherwise, with some types of quail, it's a coin-toss at best.

7. UmbraVulpis

UmbraVulpis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Naples
    Assuming they are browns and golds rather than a harder to sex color, these should help. [​IMG]

Golden with female on left and male on right:
    [​IMG]

Brown with male on the left and female on the right:
    [​IMG]

My brown male put up a fight so he's looking a bit scruffy, but you can still see the rusty color fading down.

8. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:she's dead on m8 [​IMG]

Artificial light will get them to lay 365 just like chickens. Just be prepared to replace them every 2-3 years if you do this................

9. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    I do have one gal prone to laying double-yolkers, and she tends to only give me 2 eggs every three days, while the rest give me an egg a day. She's young yet though, so she'll probably grow out of it.

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:ON the pics above you can see the dark dots on the females breast.. I would get a few extras and process the smallest , they are divine and a great way to get into processing your own animals...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by