how many roos are too many?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by coldinnh, Jul 12, 2011.

1. coldinnh

coldinnh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    NH
    I have one cochin roo who is about a year old. I got some SR speckled sussex and 3 out of the four are roos. They are about 4/5 mos old now and two are crowing. Since they have 'grown' up with the other roos and each other will they fight to the death? If so when should I look for the agression to start? I have 16 hens (14 laying age) and of course hope to add to that number.
    I really like having the three musketeers (always hanging and perching together) around they are so colourful and sweet but dont want anyone to get hurt

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    When they mature more, four will definitely be a crowd in your flock. You should have approximately ten hens for each rooster. Without that there will be fighting. Probably not to the death of one because of the breeds you have, but someone will get hurt and your hens will be stressed out over it. If you wan to keep all three of the new ones, better house them away from the current flock in their own bachelor pad.

3. coldinnh

coldinnh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    NH
    I know that he roos will pick favourites- I have a couple of bare backed hens that I had to saddle for due to the cochin- (He has a harem of 14 girls to choose from) so I wasnt sure if that was too many girls for him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by