How many Roos do you have?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peaches Lee, May 6, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    How many roosters do you have that are living within the same flock?

I have 14 EEs and it looks to be about 4-5 roos in the mix. So far, we have a few disagreements between 2 (Singular Joter & Big Red). They others are either indifferent or submissive as of right now. Singular has always been the star, but Big Red borders on being the biggest and gets a tad jealous of SJ. Big Red is very friendly and easy to catch and handle, SJ is a brat.

But anyway, can you have that many roos cohabitate, or will time tell? If the time comes, should I plan for different coops/runs. When you rehome them, do people get put off if the rooster isn't particularly friendly--not aggressive, but shy and skittish?

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep a flock of (around) 30 birds and I always keep 2 roos... a Head Roo & a second-in-command. I have found only roos raised together, i.e. father & son or brothers, are compatable together (they KNOW their spot from the time they are born). If something happens to Head Roo then second-in-command steps up and I start raising another baby roo to take the second spot. I NEVER keep a nasty/mean roo... there are too many great roos to waste time on a meany, even if he is beautiful... I will always choose a kind, attentive, helpful roo over a georgeous roo every time (of course if he is BOTH then that is great!). Never keep a brat!

I rehome everyone else with full disclosure... and if he is going into a pot, well so be it... I try never to name or get attached to a roo until I am sure he will be staying.

... and here is the reason that I do what I do... I like a calm & happy flock... and a good roo is the best way to have that. If you every get rid of a bad roo, you will be amazed at what a difference it is when he goes away. A good roo is a wonderful thing!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    With my dozen or so hens a few years ago, we also got three roos. They were raised together, minor squabbles but nothing major. Then the neighbors dumped a roo over the fence [​IMG] and I realized a few days later he was not the boss. I never saw any fighting, or injuries, he was just in charge. We ate him a few months later, then his son was coming of age. He's now the boss roo, again, no big fights or anything. Maybe my first roos are just wimps? IDK. But anyway, they all get along. So I currently have three roos (one died) with fifteen or so hens. I think one of the big things to everyone getting along is free ranging or having a VERY large run. The hens can get away from the roos, the roos aren't in each other's business, it's just nicer.

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for your thoughts. I do plan to free range my EEs. I also have 14 Golden Comet pullets, but they haven't been integrated, not sure how I'm going to work that out yet. I guess I will just have to make things up as I go along and let the birds tell me what to do. [​IMG]

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I keep 3 yard roos together...they occasionally try to start a gifht with the roos in breeder pens...when one of them gets out it goes badly...very badly...

yad roos are fine...wait...I have four currently but one is about to go away...

6. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    twelve hens and zero roos.
    Lots of eggs and happy hens.

7. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    One main RIR rooster who is in with 24 hens. Then 6 little roos, I'll be keeping 2 and finding homes for the other 4. These two roos will eventually be in a pen by themselves and then I have 16 other pullets.

8. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I have a flock of 13. Of those, 4 are roos. No fighting, no over-mating at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by