How Many Roos

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chicklette 1, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I was just wondering about keeping roosters and what is the largest number of roosters anyone has kept together in a large pen without disastrous results?

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I don't really have an answer for you, but I do know of people that keep rooster pens with at least a dozen or so roos in there. I think if there are no women to fight over, a bachelor pen can be relatively peaceful. It also helps if the roos are raised together.

3. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    That is a very interesting concept because the roosters are always so beautiful and some are very loving also. I have one that I think is a roo and he is as friendly as the rest. I am always so afraid of getting roos because of the possibility of them fighting. It is interesting to know that in the absence of females, they could get along peacefully. Of course, I don't think I could give up the prospect of eggs and I am not one who is going to eat any of my birds so I think I'll stick with females!
    Thank you so much for the reply........I've learned something! Felt like a fool when no one even replied and thought My question must be very stupid. I am new in chickendom so being stupid would not be unusual..........again, thank you.

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Songster

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    A couple of pointers if you're seriously considering a roo pad...

1) Provide multiple feeders and waterers so that the ones at the bottom of the pecking order do not get pushed away by the higher ranking ones resulting in starvation. I can and does happen. Keep an eye out lower ranking ones that are not eating/drinking enough.

2) When you go into the coop/run you absolutely have to be the head roo. If you are intimidated by roos, a roo pad is not for you. Do not walk around any of them. Make them move out of the way as you go about your business. Remember you have a whole flock of roos watching your reaction. If they see what they perceive as a weakness on your part, you may be challenged later by any one of them. If you are challenged you need to nip it in the bud right then. I have 19 16wk. old cockerels together and they get along fine except for the normal pecking order spats. They were hatched and raised together. The head cockerel decided to posture, growl, and stomp his feet while coming toward me this morning while I was holding and checking one of his flock mates. I didn't give him a chance to challenge me. I immediately gave him what I call a back handed flick in the breast. Not hard, but hard enough to make him squawk and immediately flee from me. I then walked behind him for a minute making him move out of my way. It's not being mean, you're just doing it in a language that they understand. Hopefully he learned his lesson at a young age, not to ever try it again. I only plan on keeping 6 of them for breeding and back-ups, but I'm waiting for them to mature a while longer.

Good Luck!

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Lets see ... in my main flock I have 8 that I can think of maybe more ... some are bantams some are standards. In pen #2 I have 9 roosters that I can think of. The never fight, the only time that kinda gets nasty is in the late fall. They fight a whole lot. But they get along just fine!
    Before we killed abunch of roosters I bet I had 30 roosters all in the same pen, just so long as you have abunch of hens doesn't matter!

6. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thank you all for sharing your situations and advice with me. I'm sure I will stay with hens.........lol

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger 10 Years

I have probably had 30 or so in a rooster pen. I always keep one roo pen incase a young roo decides to get cheeky, if so in the pen he goes and the older roos teach him some manners. I also have many roos and hens that run the pasture. They all get along, from Serama to JG. they have worked out their relationships and territories with only the occasional squabble. Their have only been a few that couldn't tolerate each other.

8. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I would imagine that if they free range, it would be easier and also if you have some different pens and coops in case of problems. I only have one fairly large coop and one 20'x 20' pen so at this time, I'll have to admire other people's roos but at least I know now that it can be done. I was totally awed by the fact that it can be done with the right circumstances. I always thought it would be impossible. Thanks

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yep, if you Free Range your chickens and you have alot of roosters ... it's helps! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: