How many roosters are too many?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stone13, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Stone13

Stone13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Lake Village, Indiana
    This is the first time I have ever had chickens, my neighbor who has raised them for years brought over some eggs and I hatched them
    With a incubator I bought. She got the eggs from a friend and they all hatched, couldnt believe it. The bad thing is we split the chickens and there were 20 so we got 10 each. Bad thing is we both ended up with 6 roosters 4 hens. Were going to go through a hatchery next spring and get at least ten hens each. In the MEAN time my roosters are fighting. I let them out of their run and they stay close but they fight all the time. I hate to get rid of a few of them but is there something I can do to settle them down besides Valium. Ha ha. I love them all but hate to see the fighting. When one tries to mate with one of the hens look out it's rumble in the jungle. Do I have to get rid of 3 of them at least or separate them till I get more hens? Ideas? Thanks ahead of time.

2. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    HI! First: [​IMG]

Well - if there are girls around the boys will fuss. The most common figure I've seen here is 10 hens per roo, though some have said that their flock has been fine at 5 or 6 to one. A lot will depend on whether the boys can agree as to who the boss is. You may want to set up bachelor quarters for the boys that you intend to get more girls for later. I'm sure more experienced voices than mine will be along soon to give you some suggestions! [​IMG]

You may want to use the search - rooster issues are aplenty! There is bound to be a thread (or 12) that addresses some of your concerns.

Hope this was of some help.

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    One rooster is plenty.. for 6 to 14 hens. So, IMHO pick out the most friendly, least aggressive one to keep. It's hard to find a home for roosters, everyone who has chickens ends up with too many.... so, most pots of chicken soup are made with "rooster".

So sorry... good luck and welcome. Use the Search here on BYC to search any topic, key word, subject to get more information from the more experienced here.

[​IMG]

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Welcome [​IMG]. Glad you are here [​IMG]

I wish you luck!

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]
    good luck with your roosters! [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    welcome to byc. One rooster is ok for 4 hens. I would make chicken dinners of the other roosters.

8. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    [​IMG] from South Carolina..

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I would agree. One roo per coop is plenty. They just don't tend to play well together. (It is not just chickens. I have the same problem with my pheasants.)

So glad to have you with us!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by