How many roosters? Bad first buying experience X-( !

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrsdszoo, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mrsdszoo

mrsdszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    On Nov. 4th, I bought five chicks (4 days old) who were supposed to be: two Americauna girls and 1 roo, and a pair of Silkies. They were supposedly from a "show breeder" who turns out to be a very unsavory fellow. Yesterday my Americauna girls tried to crow at me. I had noticed suspicious feathering, but had no concrete experience to reference. My Silkies, based on size difference, still seem to be a pair, I think. These aren't the best pictures, but can znyone make an educated guess as to how many roosters I have? I went to TSC yesterday to buy some BO pullets and got 4; I'm figuring I'll need to split the flock into two coops - or should it be three, with the Silkies on their own? Should I get more hens? Nothing like getting tossed into the deep end of the chicken-math pool right away, eh?[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Both Americanas look like roosters to me. They are very pretty.
    Good Luck!

3. mrsdszoo

Oct 19, 2012
    Rats, I meant to say thanks for any help you can give, and it looks like all three pics did not go through. Here's another:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4. mrsdszoo

Oct 19, 2012
    And a the third, for a third try. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I see one lone silkie pullet. I would get her out of there ASAP.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Those are all boys unfortunately.

1 person likes this.
  7. mrsdszoo

Oct 19, 2012
    My poor tiny girl! So... Three coops it is, and hopefully one of the flashy boys can tolerate the smallest, darkest roo who seems to be the calmest of the three. Sigh... So, with only four BO girls who need to grow first, I seem to be in need of started pullets. Anyone in the Atlanta Ga. suburbs know where to find started Americaunas? I don't want to getrid of the boys, I love them all!

8. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    You can have a bachelor pen. They will have their own pecking order and as long as they do not have access to hens, they rarely fight.

9. mrsdszoo

Oct 19, 2012
    That sounds like a much easier plan than what I was fearing! Oh, I do hope they can manage it nicely! How far apart from the henhouse should they be? What would all of us newbies do without BYC?!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I second Trav, just have a bachelor pad for those easter egger roosters. No reason you won't be able to put the buff pullets in with the silkies when they're old enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by