How many roosters can I get away with?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Caddy-Corner-Chick, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I have a 8x16 coop with the run being 16 x 20.... so a total of 320 sq feet outside of the coop and 128 sq ft inside...

I have a total of 25 hens

Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks and Black Australops... Can I throw 3 Roo's in there was well or will there be an issue...

I already have my marans going in there own area so if need to be I can set up a seperate area for one of the roo's and a few girls.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    you have room for 3 more hens and 3 roos!

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    As long as they get along, [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Never know til you try.

5. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Plus 3 more hens.... Don't tempt me [​IMG]

6. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Quote:Well I am raising 2 of the roo's together so I hope they establish the pecking order within themselves.. but the 3rd is about 3 months older, right now he is a sweet heart but he doesn't realize he is a rooster yet.

7. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    I would put all 3 roos together in a bachelor pad for about a week. Then one night I would move all of them over with the girls. What types of roos do you have?

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Just reading the subject line before entering the thread, I was prepared to say (cutely) "As many as I have!" because most 'how many roosters' questions are about rooster to hen ratio.

But you were inquiring into space issues, instead. Everybody has already answered, the same as I would have, had I known it was about how many more chickens - which happen to be Roos- will fit in what you've got as a coop and run.

Darn. I am still trying to find somebody else with a similarly screwed up roo/hen ratio as mine.

But hey! You get to have more chickens! Plus some yard candy!

9. mykl1

mykl1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    hobart indiana
    Ive never had luck adding a new rooster to a flock. Ive added two cockerels to a 20 X 40 pen of cochins with 2 roosters in it, and not had a problem

10. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Quote:You just confused me!! LOL

Well I have a young B.A. Rooster that is 3 months old, and i have a BO ROO and a BR roo of the same age coming next week.. (1 day olds)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by