how many roosters can peacefully co-exist?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NuthatchKnollChickens, Jun 2, 2008.

1. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    I have five Speckled Sussex (two months old) and six Buff Orpingtons (6 weeks old), and it turns out two of the Speckled Sussex are roosters. I'm hoping they will be able to work out a pecking order so everyone can co-exist but this is my first time with chickens and I'm a bit apprehensive. I'm sure this is dependent on the roos individual personalities, but do others have experience with two roosters in a small flock? Is there some minimum ratio of hens to roosters that it takes to keep everyone happy?

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    usually if roosters grow up together. they will be fine, Unless they are some type of Gamefowl... Of course though any roosters will occasionally fight over hens/food etc. wont know until you try honestly

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have 3 roosters, 2 coexist really well, the 3rd one would kill the other 2 on sight, so it really depends on the individual rooster.

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I only have 2 young roos but they do NOT get along. I only have two hens. I'm hoping when my pullets are larger (there are 11 of them) there will be enough hens for the two roos to share and get along. In my case that's a big part of it. Not enough hens to go around so they fight over them. I have to keep the roos separated at all times. They are very serious about harming each other. [​IMG]

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Usually its 10 to 12 hens per rooster but i suppose it depends on the breed. i had 4 roosters and 10 hens who got along for the first 10 months or so but they eventually started fighting and 3 out of the 4 had to be rehomed. I think smaller bantam size chickens may be able to tolerate 2 roos with the hens but even then its hard to tell when they will turn on each other. Hope that helps a bit [​IMG]

6. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:So my two roos may still not get along with only 13 hens in my flock. Sounds like an excuse to get more chickens.....
    PC-can you hatch me some silkie HENS???????? [​IMG]

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think it also depends on how much room they have to stay out of eachothers way.

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Yes more room to roam or run away from the roos the better.... as for me im on an acre and alll my chickens free range during the day and are locked in their coop at night. I had 2 bantie roos and 2 standard size roos.... the standards were really hard on the hens but the banties were sooooo sweet to them so i took the big fellas out (one golden laced wyandotte and one cuckooo maran) and housed them in the garage together until i could find them new homes.... they cuddled every night together and were right next to each other during the day..... but one day BOOM they were fighting so they then had to be seperated from each other.... then the 2 banties started fighting and i had to decide who was gonna be "the ladies man" so the less aggresive of the 2 got to stay and the other was rehomed. It was a huge mess and also happened to be my first time with chickens as well which made it even harder to part with the roos but it had to be done for the hens sake and the roosters. I say keep them together as long as there are no problems and if it becomes an issue then get a few more hens to keep them happy but from my experience that didnt work for me.... when we got more hens the boys fought more. Good luck to ya and i really hope they can find a way to get along, Ill keep my fingers crossed for you!

9. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    The coop is 8x8, the run (not yet completed) will be about 8x20, and they will free range during the day, so let's hope that's enough space for the two fellas to work things out. Thanks for the input, everyone!

10. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Good point! Mine will free range on about half an acre. Lots of hiding in the shrubbery. [​IMG] Hope yours can get along! Such a handsome breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by