How many roosters do you see? *Picture Heavy*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JK Farm, Jan 31, 2012.

1. JK Farm

JK Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    I was given my first flock of chickens this past Sunday. There are various ages, breeds, and sexes. I took a few pictures today and would like to know how many roosters you can spot. I did a head count and think there are 22 chickens total. I'm inexperienced at sexing chickens, but I think I've counted at least five roosters. [​IMG] Can someone with a more experienced eye give me some feedback please? And if I'm completely wrong about my guesses please be easy on me. I'm new. [​IMG]

Picture 1. Very LARGE Australorp hen in the front, correct? With two molting Golden Comet hens in the back?
    [​IMG]

Picture 2. This black rooster was hard to photograph. He's very people-shy. What breed is he?
    [​IMG]

Picture 3. I KNOW that this is a rooster. I would just like to know what breed he is. He has fuzzy legs. Oh, and he's missing his right eye. Apparently someone pecked it out. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picture 4.The Leghorns have me REALLY confused. Roosters, or hens??
    [​IMG]

Picture 5.This is a Barred Rock rooster (front) and hen (back) correct? (With my golden retriever in the far back! [​IMG] ) There is another rooster-hen(?) pair that look identical to these two.
    [​IMG]

Picture 6. Group Shot (Some are missing. They all scatter when I point the camera at them. [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I think that "very large" australorp may be a jersey giant...what color ar the bottoms of its feet? Do you know? The black roo may be a barnyard mix, the fuzzy footed reminds me of a sexlink, the bareds look like br and cuckoo marans maybe? But I thought cuckoo marans had white legs...I'm not good w barred breeds. Both look like hens to me, but upclose pics would help. I think the leghorns are girls.

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Pic 1: Australorp hen and two gold comet hens

Pic 2 rooster looks birchen (that's a color) - it's possible he's a Marans, but I'd think unlikely with the grab-bag assortment. Barred in background is female, white is a leghorn roo, I'm guessing that's boy #2's rear, and the butt in the forefront is female.

Pic 3 may be a gold comet rooster (gold comet is a sex-linked mutt), possibly with cochin in the mix or brahma if he's really huge.

Pic 4 looks like your leghorn hens. Keep an eye out for the long, curving tail feathers like you see in pic #2.

The barred girls I see in Pic 5 are female. Some may be mixes with something else; the brighter ones have better bloodlines. If their combs are different, the ones with straight combs are rocks and the pea combs are dominiques.

Pic 6: lots of hens and a couple roos. Can't tell gender on the specked sussex.

4. JK Farm

Nov 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    I didn't even think about Jersey Giants. The lady told me they were Australorps so I took her for her word. That black hen is HUGE though. I mean, absolutely BEAST-like. She's the biggest in the bunch I think. There were two, but the other got away when we were loading them and we never found her. [​IMG]

Picture 7. Breed? Sex?
    [​IMG]

Picture 8. I can't even guess what breed this is.
    [​IMG]

Picture 9. Speckled Sussexs
    [​IMG]

5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    If that is a pea comb on #8, my guess would be EE (even though it has yellow legs instead of green). Looks like you are right on #9 and I have no idea what #7 is.

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    # 8 looks like a welsummer pullet

7. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    2 3 roos. The black on, the white one, and the one thats in picture 3. the white one is a leghorn, other 2 are mixed.
    7 mixed hen
    9 look like hens

8. JK Farm

Nov 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Thanks everyone!

9. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop

PS ;) Welsummers should lay dark brown, usually speckled, if you didn't know. Looks like you wil have a colorful egg basket.

10. JK Farm

Nov 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Nope, I didn't know. Thanks for the heads up! I got my first egg yesterday, but it was just a plain old white one (from one of the Leghorns I'm guessing). [​IMG] *LOL*

Once the roosters are gone, the hens are getting split up between myself, my father-in-law, and a friend from church. I'm going to have to decide which ones I want to keep. I honestly can't wait until the majority are gone. I've learned in three days that I need:

• more roosts so that hopefully they'll stop sleeping in and on the nest boxes
    • A larger water bowl that won't tip over
    • A gate for direct access to the run
    • Netting for the top of the run (learned that after two chickens flew out and ran away)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by