How many roosters in this pic

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tdgill, May 1, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

the one on the right is def. a rooster I know... but the one on far left is developing far more faster than the hen in the middle...IF the one on the left is a hen...

the rooster on the right looked like a rooster for some time now, but the one on the left just started really maturing...is it possible that its a hen and maturing faster than its sibling in the middle?

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    How old????

3. tdgill

3 months today

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    How old are they if all the same age, I would guess the one on the left is a hen, and thinking about laying.

5. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    far right is definitely a roo, see the feathers in front of the tail? They are thin and pointy, they are sickle saddle feathers. Can't see the saddle feathers on the one on the left.....got another pic?
    3 months, probably too young to lay....

7. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    My guess is the two on the left are females, and the right one is definitely a male.

8. tdgill

I thought the rooster was maybe from a different batch as he was a tad bigger to begin with...but not sure. Thinking the other two are also that same age...got them all together

is it possible that the two hens(?) are just developing like growth spurts - differently?

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:now you have me second guessing, 12/13 weeks seems a little early for pullet, but also seems late for roo to start developeing too. I will stick with my first guess, 2 pullets one roo.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    could easily be a slower developing roo.....I have it happen all the time....
    do you have another pic so I can see those saddle feathers?
    without a pic I am going to say 2 cockerals and a pullet.....

eta- his neck feathers are also a shade darker....along with some of the wing feathers....
    I don't have this breed but it just seems like a cockeral to me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by