How many roosters?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Elocyn, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Elocyn

Elocyn Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Hi there,

I'm hoping some chicken experts here can help me out with some advice. We have a rooster who has now fathered a couple of (now 7 week-old) chicks and I'm pretty sure one is a cockerel. This means we'll have 11 hens and two roosters. I think we have enough hens to accommodate the two roosters, but we are potentially interested in taking on another cockerel also - my sister is raising chicks that she got from a local hatchery, but one is looking increasingly male at 5 weeks old. My question is whether you guys think it's possible to harmoniously keep three roosters (my nieces are attached and we'd rather not send him away if we can avoid it)? If so, can you suggest any ways to make this work? Would we need more hens? Would we introduce the chicks first while they're still young and then let them assimilate into the flock and with the adult rooster when they're closer to adulthood? I should mention that our chicks are still with their mum, so I imagine she would chase away a new chick?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Elocyn

Elocyn Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Sorry, just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. I've now re-posted elsewhere but can't figure out how to delete my original post. [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. You can delete a post by asking a moderator to remove it, using the red flag icon at the bottom left of your post. However, its equally as effective and more immediate to simply post under this one "wrong forum - please ignore" - then peeps will know not to respond.

All the best
    CT

4. Elocyn

Elocyn Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Wrong forum - please ignore

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by